Friday, May 26, 2006

I need a nap....

Finally, it's over....for now. This morning I had my last final of what is considered my first year of medical school. Now we have about 2 months off from classes and tests. It's going to be nice not having to wake up at 5:00 AM and not having to stress about 2-3 tests/quizzes per week. Although these next couple months won't be full of a lot of down time. One week from today I will be leaving for India as part of the medical trip that I mentioned earlier this year. Now that I have some time to think about it I'm getting really excited. Next friday I leave Atlanta, GA to fly to Frankfurt, Germany then on to New Delhi, India. I get in at 12:30 AM in Delhi, then I have to meet the team at 5:00 AM to ride a bus to Shimla 10 hours north-east. From there we get in jeeps and drive up into the Himalayan range. Sounds pretty cool huh? I'll have a bunch of pics to post when I get back. So this week is all about spending time with eugena, riding my bike (hasn't been touched in 2 weeks) and getting ready for the trip. While I'm gone my lovely wife eugena is going to be having quite the adventure of her own doing a 10-12 day road bike bonanza in northern Cali and southern Oregon with her grandparents and mom as a full support crew. Yes, I am a little jealous... We both rendez--vous back in Utah for the MS 150 on June 24th. I fly in the night of the 23rd pretty much straight from India (where I definitely won't be riding my bike), then I need to ride 100 miles the next day. We'll see how that goes. At least my hematocrit will be pretty high. After that we get about 10 days to do nothing, but we'll probabaly end up in southern utah camping. I am amazed how much I miss the desert, I had it too good while we lived in utah. After that I need to get back to MO to report for my summer preceptorship. I will be spending 2 weeks in Lexington, MO with a family practice physician. It's kind of our first real clinical experience. It should be great.
This first year of school has been interesting. At times I have been completely miserable and not wanting to hear, read, listen, or think about anything that has to do with medicine. Other times I get so excited about being a physician that I get a bit giddy. All in all it's been difficult but rewarding. I still havn't figured out how on earth I am going to remember all this stuff one day when I will acutally have my own patients. All in it's own dues time I guess. As for now I need to figure out how to stop thinking about the 200+ bugs and their diseases I had to learn for my Medical Microbioloy final this morning. I will say one thing, after having learned about all 200 or so bugs and the diseases they cause, I have never been so cautious about what I put in my mouth and have never been so good about washing my hands... As for now I think I may have actually survived my first year of medical school. I think I deserve a nap...

No comments: